[ICANN Academy WG] Draft outline for a Pilot Leadership Training Programme in Toronto

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Wed Aug 22 21:18:20 UTC 2012

Thanks for the work that went into this.

I may be missing something regarding the target audience but it looks predominantly like ICANN participants who do not need the training.  Of the listed potential participants, I doubt that there are less than a handful that would get much if any benefit from the curriculum proposed.  Moreover, it shouldn't be assumed that a new leader needs this training; I would think it is reasonable to expect that most ICANN groups will elect new leaders who are experienced in the ICANN community so they shouldn't need most of the training that is outlined.

If all 32 of the leaders accept the invitation, how many seats would be left for prospective or new leaders without ICANN experience?  The leaders would hopefully be good trainers, but if the majority of those participating are trainers and the costs go to support them, the value of this exercise seems pretty limited.

I fully appreciate the value of networking that will occur in a setting like this but if that is the main value, $40,000 and two full days doesn't seem like a good use of money and time.  Nor would it provide a very good pilot effort.

Please correct me if I am interpreting this incorrectly.

Chuck