[ICANN Academy WG] CALL FOR COMMENTS: revised At-Large ICANN Academy Curriculum

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 12:46:48 UTC 2012

Dear Sandra

In a three day program the focus could be on an OVERALL orientation to the
participant's role as a Leader in the ICANN Board / AC / SO or in a senior
staff function. Though many of those elected to leadership roles are
already ICANN participants, the focus could be on those who are completely
new - a new Director of the Board, completely new to ICANN, or a promising
new member of an AC / SO who has no clue on the work of ICANN and new
senior staff who are usually from a different work atmosphere. Even those
who have already been ICANN participants might not have fully understood
the overall picture of the work that ICANN does, or have a full
understanding of the way ICANN works.

It would be a heterogeneous mix of participants with diverse interests and
dissimilar responsibilities. It would be more appropriate to leave
specialized topics - for example IPv6 or DNSSEC for individual participants
to pursue on their own after the Academy, and focus instead on a) Internet
b) Internet Governance c) ICANN in Internet and Internet Governance d)
Organs of ICANN, how they are organized, their role and how they work and
e) Skills required to competently handle one's term of office

( I am not suggesting a different curriculum, many of the topics proposed
for the three day model would fit into the above scheme with the only
different suggestion being "lets avoid specialized topics" unless it is a
summary of the topic in the context of ICANN's overall role; i.e we could
have a session that talks about IPv6, DNSSEC, Registry Backend services all
rolled into one, to make the participant understand the overall
significance of the tasks and issues, rather than dwell deep into IPv6 or
whois )

In three days we could at best provide a foundation for the participants to
build upon, and not cover everything.

Sivasubramanian M