[ICANN Academy WG] Pilot leadership training programme - UPDATE

sandra hoferichter info at hoferichter.eu
Fri Sep 20 19:46:27 UTC 2013

Dear all,

sorry for the silence, but I was captured in meetings and travelling these
days.

Let me summarise the current status:

We received no objections regarding the draft curriculum and the trainer
criteria's, so I consider this as agreed. Regarding the distribution of
seats there was a demand to assign more seats for the GAC and for the GNSO.

Taking into account that we have a limit of 25 participants plus 4 trainer
(for PART 2) we have flexibility to provide sufficient seats only if some
participants act as trainers as well.

Thinking about it, I quite like the idea, because:

.         It is then a real effort from the community to the community

.         It is an organised knowledge transfer, where newcomers can benefit
from the experience participants and the "old hands" can get some new input
by the newcomers.

.         peer to peer mentoring can be organised between the experienced
participants and the newcomers (staff might be also helpful in this case)

.         In order to keep the balance and have all voices heard, I would
like to see at least one experienced senior staff in this group

In this respect I would not use the term trainer any more, rather "session
facilitators" . Of course the criteria's for those facilitating a lecture
should apply in order to keep the quality high.

How to move forward:

NomCom selectees and AC/SO chairs have been informed to select participants.
We will soon have a clear picture who confirmed and who would be able to
facilitate a session (according to the criteria's and availability). I do
not expect that all seats will be taken in the first place, so I see a bit
of a flexibility here before we close the final list of participants. We
should then ensure to get the right balance between experienced and
newcomers, geographical diversity, gender balance. I will keep you updated
of the process.

The current  distribution of seats is as follows:

AC/SO Orientation Training

Participants Selected

Trainers Selected

AC/SO

Participants NomCom Selection 2013

Participants to be selected by the AC/SO

Total participants per AC/SO

Double function as participant and trainer (hypothetical assumption)

Trainer only    (hypothetical assumption)

ALAC

3

2

5

4

ASO

2

2

Board

3

3

ccNSO

2

1

3

GAC

2

3

GNSO

2

7

9

RSSAC

2

2

SSAC

2

2

Staff

0

0

0

0

1

Sub total

10

19

29

4

1

Total

30

Let me know if you have questions or ideas.

Best Sandra