[ICANN Academy WG] RESULTS of the ICANN Academy Single Purpose Call: "Intercultural Awareness Program Candidates Evaluation"

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 02:49:03 UTC 2017

Hi

I'd second Vanda's observation that it is indeed a big limitation to
the development of the course LAC being absent there.

Anyone from LAC who has tried to obtain a visa to USA knows that,
despite Puerto Rico being on the Caribbean region, it is not within
our region accessibility and economical landscape.

This comes at a time right before when LAC finally returns to the
ICANN meetings calendar after being absent for 2 years and substituted
for other regions as well as right before a year where most of the
meetings will be in primarily Spanish speaking countries, with an
expected return of the LAC community being extremely important.

I'm also not sure why Leadership is the only eligible course when
Chairing Skills was especifically geared towards those who do chairing
activities in ICANN and deal first hand with intercultural challenges.

If anything, Leadership course had participants which were not in
chairing activities, as far as I recall it required arriving earlier
to ICANN meeting and many chairs couldn't do so.

I also remember from WT volunteers that there were a number of LAC
volunteers. Perhaps reconsidering inc. chairing skills and leaders who
volunteered within ICANN to chair WGs, constitutencies from LAC could
reduce the inequality in representation.

Best,

Renata