[Icann-future-wg] [ALAC-Announce] Public Consultation on Proposed ICANN Meeting Dates 2011 - 2013

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Jul 24 09:56:39 UTC 2009

Hi.

Looking over the proposed dates
<http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#meeting-dates> I have a
couple of comments:

Seems to be a very short period between meeting #39, 5-10 December
2010 (Latin America) and meeting #40, 13-18 March 2011, North
America.  Can expect little will be done for the month immediately
after the December 2010 meeting, leaving a very compressed policy
development period before the next meeting in March. Can expect this
to have a rolling effect through the year, particularly as meeting
#42 9-14 October is scheduled a month or more earlier than usual.
Suggest staff attempt to move meeting #40 to early April 2011
(avoiding the major holidays/celebrations) and meeting #42 to late
November 2011.  The third meeting should anyway be scheduled later in
the year (see next para.)

Meeting #45, 14-19 October 2012 is also too early. Adequate time is
needed for policy development and many decisions, particularly by the
board, are made at the face to face meetings.  Holding the third
meeting of the year in October will most likely cause significant
board decisions to move to special meetings of the board (telephonic
or other) in November/December, not good for transparency, and also
placing an additional burden on already over worked board members.
Suggest moving #45 to Mid/late November 2012.

  - - -

Any comments, thoughts?

Best,

Adam