[Icann-future-wg] call -- sorry

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sat Nov 28 15:04:38 UTC 2009

Sebastien, all, as promised, some comments on the ALAC statement on
the board review.  Please note recommendation 5, do you agree with
me, 4 years is a bad idea?

Sebastien, about recommendation 1 and your comments.  I hope Alan,
Carlton and others can help with redrafting.  But three comments:

1. ALAC agrees with the WG overall conclusion that on balance no
change in the current liaison arrangement needs to be made. But
disagrees with the WG when it suggests an At Large voting director
should replace the  ALAC liaison.  ALAC recommends that when the At
Large voting director is selected and seated, the ALAC liaison
position to the board continues at least until such time as a second
voting Director in put in place (as recommended during the ALAC
review.)  The roles of the liaison and voting director are different,
it is important that the ALAC as an advisory committee is able to
present opinions on policy to the board that reflect the bottom-up
RALO process. The person selected by the At Large end users as a
voting director will serve the interests of the corporation and not
act as a representative of the constituency that selected them.  The
board will loose an important input on ICANN policy if the liaison is
removed.

2. The ALAC is currently working on a selection process for the
voting director.

3. The ALAC believes it is very importance that ICANN seeks to
achieve gender balance membership of the board and in all
decision-making bodies. The working group's final report should make
a recommendation to this effect.

Other recommendations.

Recommendation 2.  ALAC agrees with the WG comment. However, we are
concerned that the WG is suggesting the board take on more work and
this is not consistent with what we believe should be the overall
intent of the review to reduce Director's workload and time spent on
ICANN matters.  Whatever changes are made, we insist that the board
continue to operate in the most transparent and open manner possible.
Particularly we recommend that all staff inputs to the board --policy
briefing documents, note for board meetings, etc-- be made publicly
available.

Recommendation 3.  Agree with the WG, no further comment.

Recommendation 4. Note that the ALAC broadly agrees with the WG's
comments and then go to Sebastien's comment.  About the draft
response to 4.g, I think remove the word "dinner", just meet with.
About 4.c, (I think Sebastien's note calls it 4.d)  4.c, The ALAC
wishes to note the importance of the NomCom as an independent
committee and that it must remain so.  We would like the WG to be
more direct in rejecting the proposal in 4.c.  ALAC believes that it
is important for the NomCom to meet with all the bodies it selects
people for, and also with other ALAC committees and constituencies.
This is to ensure the NomCom is fully informed of the ICANN
community's opinions and needs regarding the NomCom's work, and that
the community is encouraged to support the NomCom in identifying
likely candidates.

Recommendation 5.

ALAC disagrees with the WG regarding extending the term of board
members to 4 years. We have seen no evidence that a longer term is
required, board members have been able to get up to speed and
contribute fully within their first year of service.  A longer term
may cause problems with board members who are not performing to the
fullest of their abilities, but do not meet the threshold for
removal.  A longer term may make it more difficult to recruit
candidates to what is known to be a very demanding and time consuming
position.

ALAC is pleased to note that the WG refers to "At Large appointees",
plural, to the board.  Please see our comments about retaining the
liaison, above. [**THIS might be a bit flippant, Adam**]

Regarding removal and replacement of Directors, ALAC notes that other
bodies that the NomCom selects people for have already put in place
processes for removal, under certain circumstances, of NomCom
appointees in their own bylaws and procedures.  We suggest that these
processes should be consistent across all the bodies the NomCom
selects for and the General Counsel should include this task in his
work recommended by the WG.

Once disbanded, the NomCom has no institutional memory and only
retains information about candidates for one year. As such the NomCom
may not be in a position to help with a replacement process for any
vacancy occurring after a person's first year of service.  The board,
in consultation with the ICANN community may be the only body able to
select a replacement (note, the Board's selection of GNSO Council
member for the Non-commercial Stakeholders Group.)

ALAC broadly supports providing compensation for board members and
for the reimbursement of expenses incurred in their work for ICANN.
The General Counsel's study on compensation should include an
examination of possible methods (for example, from an annual fee to a
series of seating allowances that might better reflect the work done
by individual members, etc) and the appropriate level of
compensation, taking into compensation made to corporate and
non-profit boards, national and international organizations around
the world.

Recommendation 6.

The ALAC has begun a process of creating performance indicators for
ALAC members.  We agree with the WG's comments.

Recommendation 7.

ALAC supports the WG's comments, with some observations. Regarding
comments on 7.a, whatever changes are implemented, the full
transparency, openness and accountability of the board must be
ensured.  7.b, we agree to the importance of the strategic and
operational planning processes, however we believe the board should
focus on the goals of these processes, it should lead them and make
sure they are successfully met.  We are concerned that any goals
independent of the strategic and operational planning processes might
be a distraction and detract from their successful implementation.
Regarding 7.c, it would be helpful to accurately understand how much
time board members spend on ICANN matters.  Many estimates have been
made, and accurate knowledge would help matters ranging from
recruitment to compensation.  Such data may also identify areas that
can be improved.

Recommendation 8.

ALAC agrees with the WG's comments.

Thank you, etc...