[ietf-charsets] US-ASCII and its various names

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Dec 19 01:20:13 UTC 2023

Hello Steffen and others,

On 2023-12-19 06:52, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> John C Klensin wrote in
>   <6A76695E8BBACF208CEE084B at PSB>:
>
> I took you off To: as i remember you bounce my emails.
>
>   |Steffen, Martin,
>   |Starting with IANA and copying the charsets list, as Martin
>
> I did, but as i am not subscribed it was not there.
> I then looked there, but it seems this list has only ever seen two
> emails.

It is true that this list hasn't seen much traffic recently, because
(fortunately, as I'd say) not many new charsets get invented.

The situation with the archive for ietf-charsets at iana.org is indeed a
bit involved. It looks like the archives are split into three parts:

1993~2004 at https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-charsets/
1993~2020 at https://data.iana.org/archive/ietf-charsets/maillist.html
    (longer period, but not indexed as well)
2022~2023 at https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ietf-charsets/

There seem to have been no mails to this list in 2021. My very recent
mail to the list made it to the last archive without problems
(see
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ietf-charsets/2023-December/000002.html).

The mails from others seem not to have made it. That's partially due to
some of them using iana at isna.org (ISNA, not IANA; there was one from
John Klensin and a reply from Steffen with this address). The other part
is most probably that the mailing list doesn't accept mails from
non-subscribers. I'm sure I don't have to explain why to the
participants in this discussion. So please before you post subscribe at
https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-charsets; this is *truely* a
low-traffic mailing list.

Regards,   Martin.