[ietf-charsets] [art] [IANA #1297322] IANA characters-sets US-ASCII entry incorrect

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Dec 26 01:34:16 UTC 2023

Hello Carsten, others,

Just tying a lose end below.

On 2023-12-20 20:50, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On 2023-12-20, at 08:00, Martin J. Dürst <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
>>
>>   The request for this removal was based on the fact that RFC 2046 says
>>   'The character set name "ASCII" is reserved and must not be used for
>>   any purpose.'.
>
> Makes sense to me — this reflects the state of the world from 27 years ago.
>
> I don’t think there is a need to change this reserved status now.
> (Assuming that even if HTML5 does not have a default charset, any locale-derived charset will be ASCII-compatible, so the right thing will be done.)

Well, the latest version of HTML these days is just called HTML. W3C
documents point to https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/. That
document, at https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/iana.html, says for
the 'charset' parameter: "The parameter's value must be an ASCII
case-insensitive match for the string "utf-8"."

And of course, UTF-8 is ASCII-compatible.

Regards,   Martin.