[IFR2-team] Redline IFR2 terms of reference against first IFR

Jennifer Bryce jennifer.bryce at icann.org
Thu Jan 4 12:53:04 UTC 2024

Dear IFR2 members,

Happy New Year!

Our next meeting is scheduled for 10 January at 01:00 UTC. The agenda item for that meeting is the Introduction to IANA Services briefing.

In the meantime and as an action from our 6 December call, I have prepared a redline version of the IFR2 Terms of Reference against the Terms of Reference document from the first IFR. Doing this retroactively made for a very messy document due to some changes in formatting and re-ordering, so I started afresh using the first IFR document to hopefully make for an easier read.

The Google doc link is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YFVteGFGJpDWzBl_AmDug7bEF_i3qajq9LgdP52IMr8/edit.
 The areas where there are changes to draw your attention to:

  *   Background section: The new proposed text is copied from the announcement<https://www.icann.org/en/announcements/details/icann-board-convenes-second-iana-naming-function-review-ifr2-11-09-2023-en> regarding the Board’s initiation of the IFR2. This includes the language we discussed on the 6 December meeting: “IFR2 meetings and working procedures will be open to the public and conducted in a transparent manner to the fullest extent possible.” Note this is from the Bylaws article 18.9 (c).
  *   Scope section: Changes in relation to Bylaws Section 18.3 (e) “Review and evaluate the performance and effectiveness of the EC with respect to actions taken by the EC, if any, pursuant to Section 16.2, Section 18.6, Section 18.12, Section 19.1, Section 19.4, Section 22.4(b) and Annex D”. This scope item was not addressed by the first IFR as no EC actions had occurred at that time. IFR2 should review the EC actions in relation to sections 18.6 and 18.12 of the Bylaws, as the EC completed action on these items in November 2023.
  *   Observers section: The ways in which observers can participate is slightly different from the first time around to simplify the process.

I hope this helps with your comfort level with the document. Please review and raise any questions or comments. The aim so to have this document approved by the team by end of January.

Best,
Jennifer
--
Jennifer Bryce
Project Manager, Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO)