[input-to-atrt2] URGENT: Question on GAC Advise on .africa ---Fw: A new case has been created - Case 00105642

sbekele sbekele at dotconnectafrica.org
Sun Jul 21 17:32:12 UTC 2013

DearITRT2 Chair and Team:

In a follow-up of the below case I submitted for you earlier, I thought it was appropriate to share with you the below text to the questions directed to the ICANN Board during the ICANN 47 public forum meeting on 18th July.

We did not receive any immediate answer, we were told they will
revert back to us.  Therefore, we look forward to the assistance of your
 good office to get the necessary answers to our questions as well as review the issue.

Thank you for your anticipated follow-up and action.
Sophia
This
 is a complete unabridged version of the comment/questions raised by Ms.
 Sophia Bekele, Executive Director/CEO, DotConnectAfrica Trust,at the
ICANN-47 Public Forum Meeting - Durban, Republic of South Africa, 18th
July 2013.  A shorter version was read out at the ICANN Public Forum
Meeting on Thursday, July 18, 2013 due to constraint of time.

Background:
DotConnectAfrica Trust’s application for the .Africa generic Top-Level Domain name (Application ID: 1-1165-42560)
 received a GAC Objection Advice at the ICANN-46 Beijing Meeting in April 2013.

According to the GAC Beijing Communiqué( https://gacweb.icann.org/display/gacweb/Governmental+Advi...) - now termed Beijing GAC Advice- (https://gacweb.icann.org/display/gacweb/Governmental+Advisory+Committee), DCA Trust’s application received a ‘Consensus Advice’: that it was the
consensus of the entire GAC that the .Africa new application submitted
by DCA Trust should not be approved.  Since the Beijing GAC Advice was
published on 11th April 2013, DCA Trust has continued to question the
validity of the ‘GAC Consensus’ that led to the GAC Objection Advice
against its application.

DCA Trust is aware that the Kenyan GAC
Advisor, Mr. Sammy Buruchara had objected to the GAC Advice on its
behalf and had sent an email memorandum to the GAC Secretariat with a
copy to other recipients.  According to how GAC is expected to conduct
it' official business, Principle 41, a member country can in fact put
its objection in writing should they not be present at the meeting.  DCA
 had also amplified this in its written Response to the GAC Objection
Advice. http://newgtlds.icann.org/sites/default/files/applicants/...

Amidst
 this climate of a questionable consensus, the GAC Objection Advice was
accepted by the ICANN New gTLD Program Committee through its Resolution
2013.06.04.NG01.   The decision is already the subject of a
reconsideration request. (http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/governance/reconsideration/bekele-to-icann-ceo-14jun13-en.pdf) that has been submitted by DCA Trust to the ICANN Board Governance Committee since June 19, 2013.

However,
 for the interest of accountability and transparency, DCA Trust is still
 looking for answers regarding how the consensus was reached by the
ICANN GAC at Beijing to issue a GAC Objection Advice against its
application.

Pertinent Questions:

I would draw the
attention of  Ms. Heather Dryden, Chair of the ICANN GAC, ICANN Board
Member, and  member of the New gTLD Program Committee to the following -

(1)
 An Email communication was written to you by Mr. Sammy Buruchara on 9th
 April 2013, stating that he was now “the newly appointed Kenya
Government Advisor to the GAC”, and at the same time informing you that
“should the situation arise, Kenya does not wish to have a GAC advice on
 DotConnectAfrica Application for .africa delegation.”

(2)
Why this written objection was not taken into account and advisement as
clear indication that there was no consensus on the issue.  It appears
you chose to ignore Kenya’s written objection – an action that has now
resulted in a questionable GAC Objection Advice against DCA’s
application for .Africa new gTLD.

(3) Clarify under whose
auspices did Ms. Alice Munyua attended the Beijing GAC Meeting since we
understand her accreditation as Kenya’s representative to the GAC
expired at the ICANN-45 Toronto Meeting.  Furthermore, the above email
communication from Mr. Sammy Buruchara also noted that: “It has come to
my attention that Alice Munyua has introduced herself as the Kenya's gov
 representative to the GAC.  This is inform (sic) you that Kenya does
not stand by what Alice states in the GAC since she ceased to be the
Kenyan Government advisor for GAC on the day of my appointment.”

We
 would like to know why this important disclaimer on Mr. Alice Munyua as
 conveyed by Mr. Sammy Buruchara was ignored and how she was allowed to
attend the Beijing GAC Meeting and contribute to deliberations on GAC
Advice even though she was no longer accredited to the ICANN GAC. We
would like to know how, as Chair of the GAC, you allowed this
irregularity to occur.

(4) Finally, we would like to know under what accreditation is Ms. Munyua currently attending  the GAC meetings.

With best wishes,
Sophia
Support our "YES" to .africa Campaign!
www.dotconnectafrica.org
Follow us ontwitter and facebookEmail us at:yes2dotafrica at dotconnectafrica.org
Visit our press room

Nobody believes the official spokesman... but everybody trusts an unidentified source. -Ron Nesen

________________________________

>________________________________

 this week by the governance board.

>We would appreciate your consideration of the matter soonest possible.
>
>Respectfully,
>With best wishes,
>Sophia
>Support our "YES" to .africa Campaign!
>www.dotconnectafrica.org
>Follow us ontwitter and facebookEmail us at:yes2dotafrica at dotconnectafrica.org
>Visit our press room
>
>Nobody believes the official spokesman... but everybody trusts an unidentified source. -Ron Nesen
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Sophia Bekele (Ms), BS, MBA, C.I.S.A, C.C.S, CGEIT, CBS International, Inc ,Ca, USA/Africa +1 925-935-1589:US Tel;+1 925-818-4322:US ;+251-91-120-1449 :ET; +254-73200-4097 Kenya Cell, skype: sbekele, Google:"sophia bekele"
>
>________________________________
>
>PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION NOTICE. The information contained in this email message is legally privileged and confidential, and is intended solely for the uses of the addressee. Any unauthorized dissemination,distribution  or copying of this email is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message and any attachments. Thank you.

you for contacting New gTLD Customer Service. Case
#00105642 has been created to address your inquiry. A member of the Customer
Service Center will follow up with you shortly. To review your case, log into
the CSC Portal at https://myicann.secure.force.com/.

>>This
is a system-generated email. Please do not respond to this email.

>>This
case has the following information:

>>Account: DotConnectAfrica Trust
>>Subject: GAC advise that affected our appliction processing
>>
>>Per the Questions I raised during the New gTLD update session today at the ICANN Durban meeting, and to your your response, I am forwarding the following email that evidences that Mr. Sammy Buruchera , as a Kenya appointed representative has sent email to GAC Chair and others regarding Kenya's objection to the GAC advise over DCA's application.
>>
>>Thank you for your attention and I look forward to hearing from you soonest.
>>
>>Sophia
>>

>>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>FW: Change of Kenya's GAC Advisor
>>Show Details

regards,

newgtld at icann.org

>>DISCLAIMER: This email
is for information only and does not represent all requirements and criteria
that the applicant must satisfy. ICANN is not providing legal, financial,
business or any other kind of advice. This email does not represent a
modification to the Applicant Guidebook, or the terms and conditions to the new
gTLD program. This email also does not represent a waiver of any ICANN policy,
procedure or agreement. In the event that any information provided in this email
appears to be inconsistent with any information published elsewhere by ICANN,
please do not rely on this email without confirmation or clarification from
ICANN.

DO NOT DELETE********************
>>Thread ID: ref:_00Dd0huNE._500d06xowK:ref
>>You must include this text in any reply to this email.
Thank you.