[Internal-cg] [IANAxfer] [ianatransition] Jurisdiction (was Composition of the ICG)

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Sat Aug 2 00:46:01 UTC 2014

Perhaps the problem here is that the viable path for participation of any
interested party is evident to some but not to others. I’m wondering if a
clarification would help. The thrust of my understanding of what the ICG
has proposed for a process going forward is explained below.

There will be, at a minimum, three sets of processes for developing
components of the transition proposal:

(1) An IETF process for developing the protocol parameters component. As
with all IETF processes, it is open to anyone with an email address. No
one is prevented from participating. If people need help understanding how
to participate, the IETF ICG appointees (as well as other experienced IETF
participants) are here to help. The process uses well established
mechanisms for discussion and consensus-building that have been used to
successfully craft thousands of documents over the years.

(2) RIR processes for developing the numbers component. My expectation
(which I’m sure will be corrected if wrong) is that these processes will
also be open to anyone who wants to participate. And again if people need
help understanding how, there are folks who are committed to providing
that help.

(3) A CCWG process for developing the names component. Again I think the
only way this will work is if anyone is permitted to participate, and I
haven’t seen any indication that participation will be somehow restricted.
Unlike the other two components, this process is perhaps more novel — but
certainly not more novel than any conceivable alternative process the ICG
could run.

If we have three sets of open processes where anyone can participate,
where work and attention can be efficiently divided so as to develop
focused proposals, where the ICG makes it a priority to ensure that
coordination happens so that areas of overlap get addressed within the
appropriate communities, and where tried-and-trusted discussion and
consensus processes can be leveraged, how is it possible than an arbitrary
group of 30 people in the ICG running a single centralized process created
de novo for this purpose would produce a result that has broader support
and better reflects the specific oversight/accountability needs of the
various IANA functions?

Alissa