[Internal-cg] Charter commenting

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Thu Aug 7 20:26:02 UTC 2014

Hi Milton,

On 8/7/14, 11:48 AM, "Milton L Mueller" <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> [...]

I’ve been trying to sort through the discussion and it seemed like people
wanted a short comment process to hear major objections to the charter,
although I admit it’s been a little unclear how to assess people’s
opinions on this. Mohamed suggested [1] on July 24 that we setup an email
alias and establish a deadline for public comments, and a few people
seemed to agree with that, including yourself. Based on that discussion I
made a suggestion for getting going on that [2], which no one responded
to, so I re-sent it [3], yielding the present thread. In this thread I saw
support for a public comment email alias/forum from Patrik, Daniel, Paul,
Mohamed, and I thought originally yourself (“I tend to agree with Patrik”
[4]). I wasn’t quite sure what to conclude based on Adiel’s comments, but
it seemed like you and he both agreed that we could check to see if anyone
has major objections [5]. So, I proposed some landing page text that asked
the public for comments in the form of major objections. Did I miss some
discussions? Or misinterpret the bit about major objections? My personal
view is that we don’t need a public comment period and the broad outlines
of the charter are just fine, but I was just trying to reflect the
collective will of the people who had commented on this.

Thanks,
Alissa

[1] http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/internal-cg/2014-July/000414.html
[2] http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/internal-cg/2014-July/000533.html