[Internal-cg] FW: Further RFP revision

Elise Gerich elise.gerich at icann.org
Tue Aug 26 16:55:56 UTC 2014

Milton,

Your example is built on a couple of false premises ; the first being -
ICANN is only the IANA functions operator because of a contract with NTIA ;
and the second is- the NTIA transition is to replace the IANA functions
operator.

ICANN is the IANA functions operator today based on long-standing agreements
with the IETF, the NRO as well as the USG.
In 1998 ICANN was created as a home for the IANA functions and there was no
contract with the USG at that time.
In 2000, the IETF signed an MOU with ICANN to perform the technical work of
the IANA.  This agreement is recorded in RFC 2860.
In 2004, the NRO signed an agreement with ICANN to ³require specific actions
or outcomes on part of IANA.²

As for what NTIA announced in March 2014, it was not about replacing the
IANA functions operator, it was to replace NTIA¹s role administering changes
to the root zone as well as acting as ³the historic steward of the DNS².  In
the words of the NTIA announcement, it asks for ³a proposal to transition
the current role played by NTIA in the coordination of the Internet¹s domain
name system (DNS)."

Regards,
-- Elise