[Internal-cg] Further RFP revision

Daniel Karrenberg daniel.karrenberg at ripe.net
Wed Aug 27 05:20:22 UTC 2014

On 22.08.14 19:14 , Elise Gerich wrote:
> Alissa,
>
> May I suggest that the language in the RFP be consistent in using “IANA
> functions” instead of IANA services and other substitutes?  There are
> services that are performed by the IANA department that are not IANA
> functions; for example the time zone database.  Using substitutes for
> “IANA functions” may lead to submissions that include things that are
> not within the IANA Functions contract with the USG.
>
> For example in version 10, Item I. "Description of Community’s Use of
> IANA” could be interpreted to include all of the things done by the IANA
> Department within ICANN and not just the things that are done as part of
> the IANA Functions Contract. Another example is the use of “IANA
> services” as a substitute for “IANA functions”.
>
> Thank you,
> -- Elise

Elise,

this is a difficult one. Take the function of maintaining the service
addresses of the DNS root name servers. This is not specified in the
agreement between ICANN and NTIA. Yet it is something that I would
consider within the scope of this process. The time zone database may be
something else and no-one may be interested in the governance and
accountability of that function.

It does not seem possible to make the clear distinction that you
propose. So the only course of action seems to be to leave the choice to
the proposers. I am optimistic that this will be fine.

See also my suggestion for language in another message some minutes ago.

Daniel

PS: In the unlikely event that I have some spare time in the coming
months, I will of course write an elaborate proposal on the governance
and accountability for maintaining the time zone database and insert it
into the process at the latest possible moment. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)