[Internal-cg] U.S. Government Funding Bill & ANA Transition

Adiel Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Thu Dec 11 05:51:52 UTC 2014

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20141210_breaking_us_government_funding_bill_delays_iana_transition/

Just read this, and wondering if anyone has more insider information about what it means to this process? My reading is that the transition process cannot start before 30 September 2015. Which in my sense is not that alarming as much as it effectively starts then (it is a transition process). The other part that caught my attention is the fact that the NTIA is required to inform Congress 45 days prior to extending the IANA contract or taking any other decision in regard to it. Which means that the NTIA will have up to the 15th of August 2015 to evaluate the proposal we will submit, in order to present their suggested action to Congress. That gives them only 15 formal days from the time we have planned to submit our proposal. If we build in the 14 days given to ICANN board to assess and deliver this to the NTIA … I don’t see how we will achieve the target without putting emphasis right now on the fact that our published timeline has to be executed as a waterfalls process where many things has to be done in parallel, particularly toward then end.

- a.