[Internal-cg] Early draft for a charter

joseph alhadeff joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
Tue Jul 15 17:44:14 UTC 2014

Colleagues:

As was noted in the prep call different folks represent different
constituencies and how those groups go about developing consensus, can
inform our process, but cannot be the substance of our process. I too
will throw my hat in for the need for solutions to emerge as part of
consensus building and do not see how we can impose order or process on
a constituency that does not currently have the shared interest of a
solution.  Is there any more commonality if we go one further level of
distinction down?

By way of placing these comments in context...

While a number of the groups more directly involved in the operations of
IANA can be categorized as businesses, and some may be members of
ICC/BASIS, the constituency I represent is the broader range of
businesses that are not directly involved in Internet Governance, but
are rather it's beneficiaries.  Some of those businesses would be unable
to articulate the IANA functions, but approach these issues which some
level of trepidation related to any change that could break or impair
the Internet or their ability to use it as a channel of commerce and in
some cases also communication or societal interaction.  A concept that
would broadly reflect that groups concern and interest is a Hippocratic
oath of IANA transition - First do no harm.  The other tenant which was
heard in relation to the overall transition process was, to the extent
possible, test the proposals.  To a limited extent there may be some
technical steps which can be taken to test proposals, in other cases,
things like scenario analysis may be an appropriate methodology.
Essentially those businesses are looking for any
demonstration/validation possible of the functionality of any new
solutions proposed.

ICC/BASIS will also be reaching out to other broad business groups not
affiliated with ICC (Recall that ICC includes national committees in
over 80 countries) to get their input to the process, but we were
waiting for a little more substance before undertaking that outreach.

Looking forward to the meeting-

Joe

PS:Is there an interest for an informal dinner on Wed?