[Internal-cg] Early draft for a charter

Paul Wilson pwilson at apnic.net
Wed Jul 16 09:42:53 UTC 2014

I’m with both Milton and Alissa in this discussion.

- Members of the CG are not in any position to invent solutions for other constituencies (other than their own), and neither will they succeed by trying to do so.

- To me this means that realistically, the CG can only consider substantive parts of the eventual plan that have been supplied by the affected constituencies, and our role in reconciling differences cannot introduce substantial changes to individual plans.  Well, we can try, and we can try to judge the difference between substantial changes and lesser adjustments, but in the end that judgement is not ours to make.

- I believe that in soliciting plans from the individual communities we must be very clear on what is expected: giving as much guidance as we can on the structure of the plan, on the information that is must contain, the questions which must be addressed, etc.  This could be in the form or a checklist, a questionnaire, or a survey monkey form.  :-)

- To allow us to find the “best compromise” in case of differences, we may also need to identify in advance the likely areas of difference, and structure our questions so as to drill down into those areas.

- We might also ask that the plans submitted to us respond very specifically in identifying negotiable or non-negotiable elements (preferences versus requirements).  Sure, some folks will actually be more negotiable than they are prepared to admit, but it is important I think to phrase this whole exercise as one of compromise rather than demand.

- Finally I think that one thing we can do is to make a distinction, both in our own minds and in our communication with constituencies, between those aspics of the transition plan that are essential to the transition, and those which may be able to be deferred for later resolution.   This process will certainly not succeed if participants try to use it as an opportunity to make ambit claims for a whole raft of demands or reforms which are not strictly related to the transition.

Thanks,

Paul Wilson, Director-General, APNIC                      <dg at apnic.net>
http://www.apnic.net                                     +61 7 3858 3100

See you at APNIC 38!                      http://conference.apnic.net/38