[Internal-cg] Update on minutes of first face-to-face meeting

Samantha Dickinson samantha at linguasynaptica.com
Sun Jul 20 19:35:04 UTC 2014

Hello all

I have just about finished the first day's minutes, but have to catch
a flight very shortly.  A quick status update...

The minutes are longer than I originally anticipated. Day 1 will end
up being around 21 pages (including list of attendees and lots of
bullet lists). The reason for the length is that, and I hope you don't
mind me making this presumption, it seemed that as a first meeting,
where the group was setting up its work for the coming year, it was
important to document the discussion in some depth so that observers
could better understand how the ICG reached its decisions. I also
thought that detail may assist some of you, as representatives of your
respective communities, prepare summaries or reports back to your
communities, if any of you are doing that. The transcripts are
available, of course, but I've tried to group discussions within
agenda items by topic rather than order of speaker, so there is a more
logical presentation of how the discussion developed. There may not be
a need for such detailed minutes for upcoming meetings.

I will send the completed Day 1 minutes when I reach Dubai (about 7 or
8 hours away). In the meantime, I have attached a table that could be
an annex to the minutes of this first meeting. It contains a
structured presentation of the information presented by ICG members in
the "Introductions" section of Day 1. I will add the details of the
members who arrived on Day 2 shortly.

Day 2 minutes, due to me now embarking on my 26 hour journey back
home, will probably not come out until Wednesday. I think I should be
able to make them a bit shorter, however, since some of the contents
of the discussions held on Day 2 were similar to that held on Day 1.

Regards
Sam Dickinson

--
Samantha Dickinson