[Internal-cg] Process for online consensus (chairs)

joseph alhadeff joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
Fri Jul 25 12:34:18 UTC 2014

Colleagues:

Alissa is already interim chair, as of London.  I assume she has been
somewhat silent on the topic because of what might be considered a
conflict of interest.

One point was clear in London however, the Chair does not determine
unilaterally what is consensus except for the administrative matters
related to running meetings.  Where no consensus emerges, the Chair
leads a process of coming to consensus.  That is different than
determining consensus.  Thus, I would have to take exception to Patrik's
solution of the appointment of one chair resolves the process issue.
Furthermore, in this case it might be difficult for the Interim Chair to
run the process of consensus related to her possibly becoming chair...

I would however suggest, that each of us bears a participatory
responsibility.  If we don't agree with a proposal we must step forward
with opposing or differing views. Those views need to be made known at
the earliest opportunity.  If this constructive participation does not
emerge then our mission is doomed from the outset.  My suggestion would
be that each decision point provide a fixed time, not less than a week,
for consultation.  With the exception of consensus on the proposals,
which should be more carefully judged, each proposal would then achieve
consensus by having a preponderance of the communities entitled to vote
(each of the separate groups identified in Patrik's list, excluding
liaisons) support it. Comments may also suggest the need for more time
to consult on the decision or raise the importance of the issue to
justify a more deliberative process.   I am fine with the interim chair
or secretariat acting as the collection point of views, but they should
also be copied to the list for transparency. For the Chair function, it
might be best to keep posting to the list.

I know folks wanted to avoid levels of bureaucracy, but I prefer
established process to endless cycles of review with no potential to
conclude...  Equally happy to entertain other proposals.

Jean-Jacques - you indicated you were consulting with colleagues, can
you say when the group will provide an opinion?  Open-ended timelines
will not help us develop efficient process or workflows.

Best-

Joe