[Internal-cg] Redraft of RFP

Paul Wilson pwilson at apnic.net
Mon Jul 28 05:48:46 UTC 2014

On 26 Jul 2014, at 7:28 am, Russ Housley <housley at vigilsec.com> wrote:
> Paul:
>
> I have several small concerns, but I am _very_ worried about one sentence.  I want to raise that first.  Maybe that resolution will sort my smaller concerns too.
>
> I am troubled by the statement, “Where possible and appropriate,distinct alternative options should be identified”.  I  don't want the ICG discussing alternatives.  I am certain that we do not want the ICG accepting or rejecting alternatives.
>
> Maybe I am misunderstanding your intent.

Well, my intent was to recognise that there may be various options involved in coming to a conclusion, and if so, these alternatives should be supplied by the communities, not invented by the ICG.

If we invite singular and non-negotiable proposals from the communities, we might find ourselves without a single workable solution; so my thought was that if alternatives are available which are satisfactory to the communities concerned, then these should be spelt out so that the ICG can find a better final solution.   This would indeed involve making judgements and accepting/rejecting alternatives, but I didn’t see those things ruled out by the Charter (item iii).

Paul.