[Internal-cg] URGENT, suggested poll.

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Mon Jul 28 15:06:29 UTC 2014

Hi Jean-Jacques,

Thanks for your note. Comments are below, in-line.

On 7/27/14, 2:50 AM, "Subrenat, Jean-Jacques" <jjs at dyalog.net> wrote:

>Good morning Alissa,
>Hello Colleagues,
>
>The Chair of the ALAC has asked me to bring to your attention the
>following:
>
>1) In his recent message to this list, Olivier pointed out that "The ALAC
>considers it essential to uphold the decision taken in London to appoint
>3 Co-Chairs, the process of which cannot be put to fault". There has not
>yet been a response or reply to this letter.

I’m happy to send an acknowledgment of the receipt of the letter to
Olivier if that is what he is expecting. I have not engaged with some of
the constituencies present here before, including ALAC, so forgive me for
learning on the fly. I’ll do that now.

I would say that as a general matter (and for the sake of the sanity of us
all!), allowing at least 24 hours for a response to anything — and 72
hours for responses to weekend emails — should be considered acceptable
going forward. Personally I know that I will definitely have times when my
day job responsibilities will push the edges of those deadlines.

>2) The poll your have set up regarding the leadership structure proposes
>several alternatives, but is based on a makeshift process following
>someone's ad hoc suggestion: this cannot in any way have the same
>standing as the UNANIMOUS decision of the CG in London to have 3
>Co-Chairs.

I guess I’m not quite seeing the distinctions you are drawing here. The
process we followed in London was a bit makeshift and ad hoc itself, no?
And as others have pointed out on this thread, the session on this topic
concluded with three hums wherein one had
more support than the others, but there was no unanimity (see p. 195 of
the day 2 transcript [1]).

Furthermore, one point on which I believe the group does have very strong
agreement is that we should operate by rough consensus, so unanimity is
not a bar that we need to meet on every decision (of course it’s always
nice when we can).

>In careful consideration of the above, the ALAC respectfully requests
>that the decision taken in London about the leadership structure be acted
>upon without delay, and that the proposed poll be discontinued.

As mentioned in my mail about the poll, I think it behooves us to
determine a leadership structure that is broadly supported within the
group. The poll is a way for us to gain information about that question.
If, as you say, there is broad support for the three co-chairs option,
then the poll will give us confidence to confirm that, bolstering the hum
that was taken in London. I don’t see how having less information about
what leadership structure the group desires helps us.

Best,
Alissa

[1]
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/transcript-coordination-group-1