[Internal-cg] Community discussions

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Wed Nov 26 13:14:18 UTC 2014

Hi Narelle,

The cross-community working group/IANA (names) working documents are all at https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocwgdtstwrdshp/CWG+Documents:  none are final yet, although most of the analysis (RfP headings I, IIa & IIb) is pretty much done.

I'd say the process is quite cohesive and positive.  It wouldn't be true to say all is sweetness and light, but the discussion is healthy and by-and-large people are looking for solutions.  I'd also say that we are all better from listening to other's views as it has helped us identify concerns - a case of working together making us all stronger.

On the other hand, it is very time-consuming - I've never had so many e-mails! - and while we are making progress, it'll be tough meeting the deadline.

As I mentioned on the call, I feel a bit like the different processes are in silos. For a lot of the discussion, this is appropriate, but separability (the possible need to move from functional to structural separation between policy and IANA operations), which is turning into a key issue in the names discussion, has wider implications for the other functions.

Best

Martin