[Internal-cg] Heads up on Secretariat function

Adiel Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Tue Sep 2 07:11:48 UTC 2014

On Sep 1, 2014, at 22:22 PM, Subrenat, Jean-Jacques <jjs at dyalog.net> wrote:

> Dear Lynn,
>
> you make some interesting points. Just a few remarks:
>
> - Whereas the IETF has an organic link to ISOC, the same cannot be said to the ICG in relation to ICANN. This has legal and financial implications.

Yes, specially the legal implication is the main reason why through out the actual RfP document that I have drafted ICANN has been mentioned as the “owner” of the process. I have however ask ICANN if this can be accommodated by their process.

> - The ICG can of course issue a RFP. But as the actual contract will be signed between ICANN and an external entity, would it not be more accurate to say, e.g. “Persuant to the announcement by the US (NTIA) about its intent to transition the IANA functions to the multistakeholder Internet community, the ICG will draft a Request For Proposal, to guide ICANN in recruiting a suitable contractor to perform secretarial functions for the ICG."

I’m not sure we want to say this in the actual RfP, specially mentioning the drafting part (I will see that in the Secretariat definition document of the ICG itself). The RfP should be clear and straightforward for the applicants. They have to feel stability so to be confident to engage.

> - I suggest “secretariat functions", because some other secretariat functions will be retained by ICANN Staff, e.g. travel arrangements and budget.

Ok.

> - The link providing information about the ICG is welcome.

Ok.

- a.