[Internal-cg] Open operational community processes

Jari Arkko jari.arkko at piuha.net
Sat Sep 6 11:11:44 UTC 2014

Repeating my answer:

> I have a bit of a problem with this, sorry to say. While I think it's fine that people in IETF are developing ideas for proposals, the RFP makes  it clear that the process in each operational community is supposed to be open and transparent, and include other interested and affected parties. I think it would be a travesty if we release the RFP and the IETF announces 5 days later that they are finished.
>
> Even if this is presented as a "Draft," any different ideas coming from the outside would be dealing with what is in effect a sealed process, in which changes would not be welcome or even seriously considered. The IETF needs to convene a publicly announced, open process based on the RFP that we are developing.

Which is what we are doing. Or are in the first stages of doing this. We’ve had meetings, a proposal for a forum (WG) to develop a proposal in an open manner, and the WG will soon be formally created. We have done some outreach, but are planning to do even more. Indeed, most of the effort is not in writing a draft initial proposal (what we have now), but building the broad consensus that we have the right stuff - that road is still ahead of us, and will take months. Not to take anything away from having started early and already having some pieces and discussion places, that is clearly useful. But we are committed to running an open and broadly inclusive process.

(And that includes reaching out to people in governments, civil society, etc - participating though as individual, as we all do in any IETF process.)

Jari