[Internal-cg] Open operational community processes

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Tue Sep 9 18:32:53 UTC 2014

Hopefully the responses from Narelle and Jari have cleared this up a bit
as far as protocol parameters goes.

I have some similar questions about the CWG process for names, however.

I understand from
<https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocwgdtstwrdshp/Members+and+Observer
s> that in the CWG there will be two different levels of participation:
members and observers. Members will be appointed by ALAC, gNSO, ccNSO, and
SSAC (the chartering organizations). Observers may be from a chartering
organization, from a stakeholder group not represented in the CWG, or
self-appointed. Observers will be allowed to participate and contribute
input, but their views will not be taken into account in determining
consensus.

Question #1: How will the CWG process yield an outcome that has “broad
support” if the consensus call only takes into account the appointed
members from ALAC, gNSO, ccNSO, and SSAC? What if a bunch of other
interested parties disagree with the conclusion of the members? (I’m happy
to be told that ALAC, gNSO, ccNSO, and SSAC comprise the full universe of
all possible interested parties and all I or some government rep or
whoever else has to do is join one of those groups to have my view heard.
Or something else. Just curious about how broad participation in
determining consensus will work.)

Question #2: Observers are required to provide a Statement of Interest.
Observers who are not part of a chartering organization are asked to use
the gNSO procedures for doing so
<https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/New+SOIs>. That page appears
to require a username and password in order to access the SOI form. But I
can’t find any place on the site where I can obtain a username and
password. Can someone send a pointer?

Question #3: The existing Statement of Interest form for gNSO seems to
require public disclosure of a lot of personal information. Why is that
required to participate in the development of the transition proposal for
names?

Thanks,
Alissa