[Internal-cg] Extended session in Los Angeles

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Thu Sep 18 11:55:51 UTC 2014

Joseph, thanks for these comments.

I am personally completely in agreement with the positive impact a meeting with GAC would have. So, I am not against such a meeting.

I was more thinking of how we should react to other requests, specifically requests from outside of the traditional ICANN sphere.

My suggestion for a light handed (internal) policy, to be executed by the chair of the ICG:

- ICG do not reach out to other organizations or constituencies to have meetings, except where so explicitly is warranted

- ICG is accepting invites for meetings from other organizations and constituencies

- Incoming invitations are evaluated by the chair, and if the goal of the meeting is clear, do not explicitly or implicitly confuse the existing communication channels between ICG and the community in question, and the logistics makes the meeting possible, then the chair can inform to ICG about the meeting invitation, and receive feedback from ICG members. Specifically from the individual(s) (if any) that in ICG is/are appointed by the group(s) in question.

- The ICG chair makes a decision, based on feedback from ICG members, on whether the meeting is to be accepted or not

- At the meeting the ICG chair or whoever the chair is delegating the role to, goes to the meeting and it should be requested that "as many ICG members as possible" (according to what logistics can handle) should be able to follow to the meeting

- The fact the meeting took place, agenda and light notes (transcripts not necessary) from the meeting should be recorded in the ICG records (i.e. sent to the ICG mailing list)

- Part from what is described above, where ICG is accepting meetings, all ICG member is encouraged to reach out and talk with as many communities and constituencies as possible, but then in a personal capacity

   Patrik