[Internal-cg] Strawman proposal finalization process

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Mon Sep 22 22:35:12 UTC 2014

As discussed in the thread about ICANN 51 side meetings, it seems like it
would be helpful for us to develop a shared understanding of how we will
assemble and finalize a unified transition proposal after we start
receiving individual proposals from the operational communities and
broader input from all stakeholders. My guess is that we will not come to
a firm conclusion about all details of this process prior to ICANN 51,
which is fine. But we certainly need to come to some conclusions about it
within the next few months, so that we are prepared when we start
receiving proposals from the operational communities and input from all
stakeholders.

I’ve put together a strawman proposal for a process to use to assemble and
finalize a unified transition proposal (attached and in dropbox). It is
heavily influenced by our charter. You will see that there are many open
questions — I’m just throwing this out as a starting point to get
discussion going. Please comment.

I don’t think we need to document every little detail and possible corner
case for how things might go once we start receiving proposals and input,
but I do think we should have a rough plan that we can articulate to
establish expectations about how we will proceed.

Thanks,