[Internal-cg] ICG FAQ ..

Elise Gerich elise.gerich at icann.org
Mon Sep 29 20:50:13 UTC 2014

Manal,
Many thanks to you and your colleagues on the committee for drafting the
FAQ.

Question #4 quotes SAC ­067 in answer to ³What are the IANA functions? ³  I
do not dispute that SAC-067 is a well written and informative document.  I
do think a better reference document would be NTIA¹s contract,
SA1301-12-RP-IANA, which defines the IANA functions over which NTIA has
stewardship.

For example, NTIA¹s description of the functions in the contract (C.1.1)
states:
³The US Department of Commerce (DoC), National Telecommunications and
Information Administration (NTIA) has initiated this contract to maintain
the continuity and stability of services related to certain interdependent
Internet technical management functions, known collectively as the Internet
Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)."

In particular Section C.2.9 of the IANA functions contract describes the
functions for which NTIA is a steward.  The contract is easily found on
NTIA¹s website:
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/page/iana-functions-purchase-order
or on the ICANN website:
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/contract-01oct12-en.pdf