[Internal-cg] ICG FAQ ..

Manal Ismail manal at tra.gov.eg
Tue Sep 30 09:45:28 UTC 2014

Many thanks Milton ..

Noted ..

Further comments inline below ..

Kind Regards

--Manal

From: Milton L Mueller [mailto:mueller at syr.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 3:13 AM
To: Manal Ismail; internal-cg at icann.org
Subject: RE: ICG FAQ ..

Manal et al

Good start.

I would propose the following modifications.

Add a new           question between #9 and #10, which I here label 9 ½ :

9 ½ Can I submit my own proposal for how the IANA transition should take place?

You can, but the ICG is not authorized to pick and choose among competing proposals. That would centralize the authority over the IANA transition in ICG's hands, and the general preference is for a bottom up, consensual process. If you submit a proposal directly to the ICG without participating in the processes convened by the operational communities, all the ICG can do is forward that proposal to the relevant OCs. If you think your ideas have been ignored or not fairly treated in the OC proposal development process, you can express this view directly to the ICG or in the public comment period. But the ICG cannot give these objections any weight if the person made no effort to participate in the operational community-convened process.

[MI]: Noted .. will add it to the new version that is to be circulated shortly .. Although, personally, I would be reluctant to leave the last sentence "But the ICG cannot give these objections any weight if the person made no effort to participate in the operational community-convened process." .. I think it's a bit negative and I don't think it adds ..

On Question 14, I found the answer not very meaningful. I would propose the following alternative language:

ICG is closely following ICANN Accountability Process <https://community.icann.org/category/accountability> . After receiving consensus proposals from the operational communities, ICG will conduct an analysis of their overall implications for ICANN accountability. If there are gaps or problems, ICG will check to see whether these gaps are filled by the results of the ICANN enhanced accountability process. If they are not, ICG will return the proposals to the relevant operational community(ies) for amendment.

[MI]: Happy to replace with your proposed language .. Looking forward to other reactions as this is one of the few questions we did not discuss thoroughly and have no agreed position on ..

On Question 15, "How is ICG reaching out?"  I would delete the language "ICG members have participated in the IANA stewardship transition session <http://london50.icann.org/en/schedule/thu-iana-stewardship-transition>  held at the ICANN 50 meeting in London, and

If someone asks that question now they don't care what we did 3-4 months ago. They want to know what we are doing now.

[MI]: Noted .. although soon after, this will also become a past event.