[Internal-cg] Timeline and proposal finalization process updates

Paul Wilson pwilson at apnic.net
Tue Feb 24 23:03:18 UTC 2015

I think the point here is not about first-comers having priority, but rather that all proposals need to minimise the impact that they may have on others.

It was an assumption of the entire RFP process that we could receive 3 proposals which would be developed independently (or largely independently), and assemble them into a single cohesive proposal, without major changes to any of them.

It is clear I think that the 2 proposals that we have received make no assumptions about IANA names registries and functions, and impose no changes or restrictions on those functions. We might assume that the remaining proposal will do the same, and say nothing, for fear of appearing prescriptive.

However, it does appear possible that the names proposal might include or imply changes to the IANA structure or functions which have wider impacts, and which make a reconciliation of the 3 proposals impossible. I do think it may be necessary for the ICG to issue some kind of reminder of our expectations, and of the difficulty we will have if the names proposal does impact severely on the others.

Again it is not a question of the first proposals having priority, but of all proposals needing to respect the independence and integrity of the others.

Paul.

Paul Wilson,  Director General,  APNIC
http://www.apnic.net