[IOT] The latest IRP rulings

McAuley, David dmcauley at verisign.com
Tue Aug 9 20:41:42 UTC 2016

Hi Avri,

You ask an interesting question:

"Can a panel under the new IRP  make binding relief recommendations (not interim relief which seems well defined) for a complainant, or will they still be limited to decision requiring further consideration by the Board.  I did not see substantive decisions as prohibited as is the case currently, but also do not see where they are specifically enabled."

In my personal opinion the "bindingness" is provided for but I also will be anxious to see what Becky and the legal team say.

(Relief is another story - that is up to ICANN I think - the panel simply says whether or not an action or inaction was or was not consistent with Articles/Bylaws.)

The reason I think bindingness is provided for is the tie between the Supplemental Rules (admittedly just a draft at present) and the Bylaws.

The draft supplemental rules in their current form say in Section 11 (Standard of Review), subsections a. and b., that the panel will decide whether the Covered Action constituted an action or inaction that violated the Articles or Bylaws - and that shall be decided "... in compliance with ICANN's Articles and Bylaws ...".

In turn, the Bylaws provide in Section 4.3(a)(viii) that the IRP is intended to resolve disputes for reasons that include leading "to binding, final resolutions consistent with international arbitration norms that are enforceable in any court with proper jurisdiction."

The definition of PURPOSES OF THE IRP in supplemental rules Section 1 is also tied to Bylaw Section 4.3(a).

Beyond that, Bylaw 4.3(x) is also important - basically saying that "The IRP is intended as a final, binding arbitration process" to the extent allowed by law. It has several subsections, one of which recognizes that ICANN can "reject" the decision (4.3(x)(iii)) and another of which recognizes that the Claimant or community can appeal such a rejection to a court with jurisdiction (4.3(x)(iii)(C)).

Court appeals are supposed to be conducted "without a de novo review of the decision of the IRP Panel or en banc Standing Panel, as applicable, with respect to factual findings or conclusions of law." (Section 4.3(x)(ii).

As noted above, it will be good to hear from Becky and the legal team whether the question about binding rulings is sufficiently reflected as intended by the final CCWG report.

International Policy Manager
Verisign Inc.
703-948-4154