[IOT] Discussion thread #4 (and the last one!)

Mike Rodenbaugh mike at rodenbaugh.com
Mon Aug 22 21:49:12 UTC 2016

Can ICANN substantiate its purported "serious concerns about the cost and
delay associated with cross examination of witnesses?"  In other words,
when has there been such an associated cost, in ICANN's opinion?  ICANN has
fought every time they were asked to provide witnesses, though it has only
been a few times.

To my mind, the issue is not whether there should be cross-examination, but
whether there should be witnesses at all.  If there are witnesses, then of
course they must be subject to cross-examination; otherwise there is no
point in having them at all.  So I think we should focusing on that
slightly broader question whether there should be witnesses at all, rather
than whether any witnesses may be cross-examined.

I think there should be witnesses in any live hearing, as the parties may
agree or as the panel deems relevant and necessary.  There should not be
any "default against" witnesses or cross examination.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Rodenbaugh
RODENBAUGH LAW