[IOT] on seeking new members for IRP-IOT

McAuley, David dmcauley at Verisign.com
Wed Nov 28 15:11:03 UTC 2018

Dear members of the IRP-IOT;

Here below is suggested text of a letter we might send to SO/AC leaders in order to seek new members to IOT. I'd like to discuss on call tomorrow.

Best wishes,

Sr International Policy & Business Development Manager

Verisign Inc.

703-948-4154

Here is suggested text:

Dear Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees leaders:

[With copy to: Göran, JJ, David Olive, Board]

We are writing to you to ask that you help us in adding new members to the ICANN Independent Review Process Implementation Oversight Team (IRP-IOT).

The IRP-IOT was created by the CCWG Accountability to develop rules of procedure for the Independent Review Process (IRP). The IRP is a formal arbitration mechanism that is ICANN's highest form of internal dispute resolution procedure. It is addressed in Section 4.3 of ICANN's bylaws.

The IRP-IOT was later adopted by the ICANN Bylaws that became effective in October 2016, as part of the IANA Transition - specifically Bylaw 4.3(n)(i), which states, in part:

An IRP Implementation Oversight Team shall be established in consultation with the Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees and comprised of members of the global Internet community.

The IRP-IOT is about to wrap-up work on 'supplementary' rules of procedure that supplement the rules of the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) so as to take account of ICANN's unique nature. ICDR is ICANN's IRP services provider.

But our membership has been dwindling and we have remaining work to do as tasked to us under the bylaws:

   a.   Cooperative Engagement Process rules to be developed - see section 4.3(i);
   b.   Possibly recommend panel training - see section 4.3(j)(i);
   c.   Develop an IRP panelist recall procedure - see section 4.3(j)(iii);
   d.   Possibly develop specialized PTI service-complaints rules - see section 4.3(n)(ii);
   e.   Develop procedures if ICANN elects not to respond to an IRP (see section 4.3(n)(iv)(F));
   f.   Develop standards and rules governing appeals (see section 4.3(n)(iv)(G) and see also section 4.3(w));
   g.   Possibly develop additional independence requirements for IRP panelists - see section 4.3(q)(i)(B). This includes consideration of term limits and restrictions on post-term appointments to other ICANN positions - see 4.3(q)(i)(B) and see 4.3(j)(iii).

   We therefore wish to add members as soon as possible - we are planning for a meeting at ICANN 64 that will be in that nature of a re-organizational meeting and with a view to work on substance as outlined above.

   As you saw above, the IOT shall be established in consultation with SOs and ACs. We suggest that each SO/AC seek to add [two, three - what number do we think is best] members from your organizations to the IOT. We have suggested text below that could be useful in announcing this to your members:

   SUGGESTED TEXT:

   The IRP-IOT was established by the CCWG Accountability and later by the ICANN Bylaws to help implement ICANN's new Independent Review Process as established by the October 2016 Bylaws. The IRP is addressed in Bylaw Section 4.3 and the IOT is described in Section 4.3(n)(i).

   The IOT is seeking new members through consultation with SOs and ACs. As you can see from Bylaw Section 4.3, the work is in large part dealing with legal matters. Legal training would be welcome but is not essential to join.

   The IOT has asked each SO/AC to distribute this announcement to its members and each SO/AC is suggested to nominate ???? members, who can begin service as soon as possible. The IOT will be holding and organizational and substantive meeting at ICANN 64.