[IOT] IOT - Agenda for Meeting 16 February 17:00 UTC and DAIRs for previous meeting

McAuley, David dmcauley at Verisign.com
Mon Mar 15 11:56:46 UTC 2021

Hello, Flip, and all.

I was away when you send this along, Flip, but did mention that I would consider and post a response on list.

First, thank you for this, it reflects a great deal of thought toward helping us bring Rule 4 to closure.

With respect, though, I do not support this approach.

In my opinion, the work to bring about the IANA Transition, especially that of the CCWG Accountability, amounted to a major restructuring of ICANN that needs time settle into place. As frustratingly slow as that can be at times, e.g. there is still no IRP standing panel, it is nonetheless proceeding. The approach that your email suggests would, in my opinion, amount to a major new restructuring without having waited sufficient time to determine whether such is needed.

If we were to need a bylaws amendment, as this approach would, then a simpler amendment to clarify Rule 4 would make more sense, I think. And we are not yet to that point – there are compromise proposals that hold some promise, including Kurt’s.

However, as mentioned, I am greatly thankful to you for trying to move the debate forward.

Best regards,

Sr International Policy & Business Development Manager

Verisign Inc.

703-948-4154