[IOT] Arbitrator independence considerations

McAuley, David dmcauley at Verisign.com
Mon Apr 24 11:34:33 UTC 2023

Hello Susan and IOT colleagues,

One of the work items that the IOT may take up once we finalize the supplemental rules is to develop 'additional independence requirements' for IRP standing panel members. See Bylaw 4.3(q)(i)(B).

I saw that on Friday UNCITRAL released a draft version of a Code of Conduct for arbitrators in international investment disputes. Even though we are not dealing with investment disputes, the draft (subject to further discussions) contains some interesting Articles that may be of interest to us when we arrive at this particular endeavor.

In case of interest, I wanted to flag it.

Here is the link: https://uncitral.un.org/sites/uncitral.un.org/files/media-documents/uncitral/en/a-cn9-1148-code_for_arbitrators_for_informals.pdf

Best wishes,

Policy Director

Verisign, Inc.