[IOT] 3.a suggested language

Kristina Rosette krosette at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 19:33:59 UTC 2023

All,

As promised during Monday's meeting, I've suggested some language for 3.a.
For convenience, I've set out current and proposed 3.a. with new language
highlighted in yellow.

CURRENT 3.a:  If the STANDING PANEL lacks capacity for seating one, two or
all three members of the IRP PANEL the STANDING PANEL Chair may propose a
process for completing the IRP PANEL selection. Absent this, in situations
where selection of all three members of the IRP PANEL is necessary,
paragraphs b-e shall apply.

PROPOSED 3.a: If the STANDING PANEL lacks capacity for seating one, two or
all three members of the IRP PANEL the STANDING PANEL Chair will adopt and
implement a process for completing the IRP PANEL selection that is
consistent with the integrity and fairness of the IRP and generally
accepted ethical standards for international arbitration. The objective of
this process is to select panelists for the IRP PANEL who are independent
and impartial, and have both the necessary capacity and the requisite
diversity of skill and experience needed for the particular IRP.  Absent
this, in situations where selection of all three members of the IRP PANEL
is necessary, paragraphs b-e shall apply.

-*-

I'm not wedded to this language, but wanted to provide a starting point.
Given the time difference, I won't be attending Wednesday's meeting.