[IOTF] IOTF Call #9 - Meeting Notes (20 May 2016 @ 15:00 UTC)

Yuko Green yuko.green at icann.org
Fri May 20 20:00:46 UTC 2016

Dear members of the IOTF,

Please see below the meeting notes and chat history from today's IOTF call.
The presentation material, audio and AC room recordings are now posted at
https://www.icann.org/stewardship-implementation under "Meetings & Work
Sessions" section. The transcript will be made available within the next few
days.

*** Meeting Notes ***

Implementation Oversight Task Force (ITOF) call #09

20 May 2016 @ 15:00 UTC

Please note that this meeting is being recorded.

To mute or Unmute, select *6 (Star-Six)

If you would like to review the last call(s), the recordings and
presentation materials are posted publicly here:
https://www.icann.org/stewardship-implementation

Agenda:

1.       Opening Remarks

2.       Implementation Items

*         RZERC charter

*         CSC request for appointment

*         PTI formation documents

3.       AOB

a.       IANA IPR Timing

4.       Closing Remarks

Notes:

Apology:

Lise Fuhr

Paul Kane

Avri Doria

Decisions:

RZERC Charter

*         Title: Incorporate the edits to spell out RZERC

*         Composition: Incorporate edits to first sentence

*         Composition: Remove last added sentence, but take the edit of
first sentence suggested by Seun (Comment [A5])

*         Meeting: Incorporate the edits of "Meetings may take place with
remote participation (using appropriate technology) or in-person. Email
discussions do not constitute meetings."

*         Voting & Quorum: Incorporate Chuck's suggestion (Comment [A8])

*         Voting & Quorum: Change the title of the section to "Decisions"

*         Voting & Quorum: Do not take the suggested edits by Eduard
(Comment [A9])

*         Records of Proceedings: Incorporate suggested language by Jonathan
"Committee meetings shall be recorded wherever possible. Any minutes or
other records prepared shall be posted as soon as possible following
approval by the committee."

*         Conflict of Interest: Change "confirm adherence" to "identify
potential conflicts of interest in their committee service."

*         Review: Incorporate the edit suggested by Seun (Comment [A14])

Action Items:

*         Update the RZERC term sheet based on the feedback and change the
format into a charter (ICANN)

*         Share the CSC materials with CWG (ICANN)

*         Contact client committee about review timing for PTI formation
document (ICANN)

*         Check with ICANN legal & finance regarding the evaluation of IANA
IPR (ICANN)

***Chat History***

Yuko Green: Who may be #1037?

Jonathan Robinson: I am live on audio.

Jonathan Robinson: Hello all

Yuko Green: Hello everybody, welcome to IOTF Call #9. We will get started
shortly.

Yuko Green: who may be # 8753?

Greg Shatan: An interest does not necessarily imply a conflict of interest.
If it did, ICANN couldn't function.

James Gannon: Agree

Greg Shatan: Agree that we should not take Seun's edit.

matthew shears: if the appointment of membrs is up to internal processes
then why specifiy 5 years

Russ Housley: I can barely hear Jonathan

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Yup keep the erspective here

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): agree

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): and the GNSO Guidelines  for WG Guidelines has a
set of agreed definitions of Consensus  we could reference

Greg Shatan: I won't die in a ditch over this.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): yup

James Gannon: If it has a meeting over VOIP is that not a meeting? Support
removing it

matthew shears: why even specify just say electronically or face to face.

Greg Shatan: "internet based discussions" is a very vague term.

Alissa Cooper: agree matthew

James Gannon: Agree with matt

Greg Shatan: Let's remember this is only a term sheet....

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Excellent Jonethn!

Alissa Cooper: is anyone really liable to confuse email for a meeting?

James Gannon: Simplify

Greg Shatan: That last sentence is rather silly.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): One wuld hope Not Alissa

Jonathan Robinson: Meetings may take place with remote participation (using
appropriate technology) or in-person. Email discussions do not consititue
meetings.

James Gannon: +1 Johantahn language

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Yep

Alissa Cooper: looks good

Greg Shatan: +1 to James's spelling of "Jonathan."

Chuck Gomes: Well done Jonathan.

James Gannon: Working 3 laptops and 2 meeting Greg, Im surprised I didint
call him Jane =)

James Gannon: Support

Yuko Green: Cheryl, may i suggest you mute your audio?

James Gannon: Too much detail and not in proposal

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): I agree with Alan

James Gannon: Title it decision making

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Faire enough point Greg

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): and yes Decision Making works  James

Chuck Gomes: Concensus and voting don't match.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): YES TO Decisions and no Quorum in title

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): lests KISS this  Yes Alan

James Gannon: Agree

Russ Housley: Agree, that it too much granularity

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): So true Russ

James Gannon: As soon as possible following approval is pretty standard
boilerplate, I suggest just leaving as normal

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): YUP

matthew shears: agree

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): ONE WOULD THIK SO Chuck   but that would be
covered in just oopenly and transparently

James Gannon: Yup that would work

Greg Shatan: +1 Alan

Greg Shatan: "other records" covers recordings, minutes, transcripts,
courtroom artwork, etc.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Any Munites  prepared should be .. ... ...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): that was an edit  to Jonethans language

Jonathan Robinson: Committee meetings shall be recorded whereever possible.
Any minutes or other records prepared shall be posted as soon as possible
following approval by the committee.

matthew shears: + 1

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Perfect Jonathan

Yuko Green: Thank you for typing that up, Jonathan

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): fine

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): doubt it adds anything but nit dying in a ditch
either

Russ Housley: Where will the final RZERC Charter be posted?

Chuck Gomes: I understood that a charter would be created from the term
sheet.

Chuck Gomes: But I am okay just having a term sheet.

Chuck Gomes: Should we call it RZERC Guidelines?

matthew shears: it is a review committee - and it does have an important
role - shouldn't it have a charter

Greg Shatan: The AC/SOs are essentially "chartered" in the ICANN Bylaws, and
then make their own rules.  WGs are chartered and follow rules generally set
for them.

Alan Greenberg: I am happy to do whatever other want as long as it will not
take  a lot more of our time.

Greg Shatan: Will it at least be written in complete sentences?

matthew shears: + 1

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Fine plan Trang

Greg Shatan: Please use the word "Whereas" at least once, just to satisy my
legalistic urges.  Thank you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): Gre !;-)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): GreG

Trang Nguyen: @Greg: noted

James Gannon: no objection here

Chuck Gomes: I reviewed it and had no issues.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): yup fine to issue IMO

James Gannon: I honestly havent had time to review yet was planning to over
the weekend

James Gannon: Day jobs and all that =)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): that makes sense Trang

Russ Housley: I cannot hear anyone speaking right now

James Gannon: Agree, I will note that from my design team persective I saw
references to our C7.3 sections so happy from that sense

Russ Housley: You are back ....

Russ Housley: I think thet the RIRs proposal requires the IPR be transferred
before the NTIA exits

Russ Housley: @Greg:  I think the timeline requires parallel review

Greg Shatan: @Russ, agree and that is how we're proceeding.

James Gannon: Hmm valutation of the assets needs to be done very carefully

Russ Housley: The concept of a valuation is new to me.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): THAT IS MY UNDERSTANDING AS WELL

James Gannon: Thi is not a normal business transcation

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): TRUE

Alissa Cooper: this seems like something icann could decide to do any time
before the transfer

James Gannon: Yes but in those cases its normal to value at 1$ or equivalent

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): yes could be done Now

Jonathan Robinson: I am not an expert on this. Suggest Trang checks with
ICANN fincance / legal

Chuck Gomes: Agree Jonathan.

Greg Shatan: James -- that is price -- value is a different issue.

Chuck Gomes: Thanks all.  Productive meeting

James Gannon: Thanks all

James Gannon: Agree Greg btw

Greg Shatan: It used to be a peppercorn rather than $1...

James Gannon: lol

Greg Shatan: Bye all!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr  (CLO): byr

Trang Nguyen: Bye everyone. Thank you.

matthew shears: as long as it does not inolve congressional approval

Yuko Green

Strategic Programs Manager

Global Domains Division

Direct Line:  +1 310 578 8693