[IPC-GNSO] Fwd: [CCWG-ACCT] Blog: ICANN Board Submits Final Comments to CCWG-Accountability Public Comment

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 23:07:29 UTC 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Grace Abuhamad <grace.abuhamad at icann.org>
Date: Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 7:05 PM
Subject: [CCWG-ACCT] Blog: ICANN Board Submits Final Comments to
CCWG-Accountability Public Comment
To: Accountability Cross Community <accountability-cross-community at icann.org

Original link:
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/icann-board-submits-final-comments-to-ccwg-accountability-public-comment

ICANN Board Submits Final Comments to CCWG-Accountability Public Comment
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/icann-board-submits-final-comments-to-ccwg-accountability-public-comment#>
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/icann-board-submits-final-comments-to-ccwg-accountability-public-comment#>
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/icann-board-submits-final-comments-to-ccwg-accountability-public-comment#>
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/icann-board-submits-final-comments-to-ccwg-accountability-public-comment#>
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/icann-board-submits-final-comments-to-ccwg-accountability-public-comment#>
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/icann-board-submits-final-comments-to-ccwg-accountability-public-comment#>

It has been a very busy week for both many in the community, including the
ICANN Board. Tuesday marked the conclusion of the ICG public comment
period, which saw over 150 comments submitted. The ICANN Board submitted
comments on the ICG Proposal, which can be found here
<https://comments.ianacg.org/pdf/submission/submission121.pdf> [PDF, 133
KB].

Additionally, after weeks of extensive dialogue with the community, the
ICANN Board has submitted
<http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-ccwg-accountability-03aug15/msg00045.html>
its
final input to the CCWG-Accountability 2nd Draft Proposal Public Comment
forum. The Board is proceeding in accordance with the principles we
outlined in our 2014 resolution
<https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2014-10-16-en#2.d>
addressing
what the Board would do in the event it disagreed with a CCWG
recommendation.

The elements of the Board submission are:

   - A brief summary of its public comment input
   - A comments matrix of forty-seven CCWG-Accountability proposal elements
   and their assessment by the ICANN Board
   - A short memo describing a proposed approach for community
   enforceability for consideration
   - A twenty-question FAQ of the proposed approach for community
   enforceability

As we have stated previously
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/working-together-through-the-last-mile>,
the Board supports the improvements to ICANN's accountability contained in
the CCWG-Accountability's 2nd Draft Proposal. We endorse the goal of
enforceability of these accountability mechanisms, and we believe that it
is possible to implement the key elements of the proposal. We want to work
together to achieve the elements of the proposal within the community's
timeline while meeting the NTIA requirements.

We have heard some concerns from the community regarding the Board's intent
in presenting new ideas for the CCWG's consideration. The contributions by
the Board are not meant to be a "counter proposal," but rather as
suggestions for consideration to build upon the CCWG's impressive work. We
encourage the community to read not only ours, but all comments submitted
<http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-ccwg-accountability-03aug15/> to the
public comment forum. There are still 24 hours to submit comments on the
proposal, and we encourage any interested stakeholder to do so.

Once again, on behalf of the Board, I want to thank the CCWG-Accountability
for all of its work leading to the 2nd Draft Proposal and for its
engagement throughout this significant process. This is an important
discussion for the entire community as it reaches consensus, and we hope to
continue this dialogue in Los Angeles later this month at the
CCWG-Accountability
face-to-face meeting
<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/accountability-cross-community/2015-September/005301.html>
.