[IRT.RegDataPolicy] IRT Liaison report on Rec7 during the 20Aug2020 GNSO Council Meeting

King, Brian Brian.King at markmonitor.com
Wed Sep 9 16:21:49 UTC 2020

Thanks, Stephanie.

Yes, whether a registry is in the US or on the moon, SCCs are a lawful way to transfer data out of Europe. Ironically the “problem” as you say is actually part of the solution to reconciling Thick WHOIS with the Phase 1 policy since they address concerns raised about cross-border data transfer.

To your final point below, the Bird & Bird legal advice was obtained post-GDPR, so we don’t need to rely on legal advice received during the Thick WHOIS PDP.

Since we have legal advice confirming that a legal basis exists, and we have identified a lawful way of transferring Thick WHOIS data across borders, it seems there are no further reasonable concerns requiring the conditional language in Rec 7, and we can proceed with the language suggested by Staff.

Brian J. King​
Director of Internet Policy and Industry Affairs, IP Group

T +1 443 761 3726​
clarivate.com​
[D39D107B]