[IRT.RegDataPolicy] Concerns that proposed solution does not match 7/19 discussion RE: Review RegData complete draft Re: Good News. Urgent Request. IRT supported solution found!

Kapin, Laureen LKAPIN at ftc.gov
Tue Aug 1 02:21:32 UTC 2023

Hi Owen,

  I appreciate your input and agree with you on several points.  I believe that there is good intent in the IRT to find a compromise here.  I also agree that our goal is to implement the Phase 1 policy, not develop new policy.

  Simply stated, I think that there was a mismatch between the compromise described during the call and the proffered IRT language.  I participated in the last call and reviewed the recordings and there was not discussion of a three-business day ceiling.   The GAC expressed concerns about lengthy timelines in its public comment in the first place and the proffered IRT language maintains the original ceiling of three business days.  However, during our last call we focused on a ceiling of two business days.

 I propose the following text to ensure that we implement the compromise discussed on the call which involved the “without undue delay, generally 24 hours” and the opportunity to request extensions of up to two business days:

10.6. For Urgent Requests for Lawful Disclosure, Registrar and Registry Operator
MUST respond, as defined in Section 10.7, without undue delay, generally within
24 hours of receipt.

10.6.1. If Registrar or Registry Operator cannot respond to an Urgent Request for Lawful Disclosure within 24 hours, it MUST notify the requestor within 24 hours of receipt of an Urgent Request for Lawful Disclosure of the need for an extension to respond.

10.6.2 Registrar or Registry Operator’s extension notification to the requestor MUST include (a) confirmation that it has reviewed and considered the Urgent Request for Lawful Disclosure on its merits and determined additional time to respond is needed, (b) rationale for why additional time is needed (including if a request is complex or the Registrar or Registry Operator received a large number of requests), and (c) the time frame it will respond, as required by Section 10.7, which cannot exceed two (2) business days from the time of the initial receipt of the request.

   For context, here is what ICANN Org offered after it assessed the public comments:

10.6. For Urgent Requests for Lawful Disclosure, Registrar and Registry Operator
MUST acknowledge and respond without undue delay, but no more than 24
hours from receipt. If responding to an Urgent Request for Lawful Disclosure is
complex, or a large number are received by Registrar or Registry Operator, it
MAY extend the time for response up to an additional one (1) business day from
the date of receipt of the Urgent Request for Lawful Disclosure, provided it gives
notice to the requestor within the initial 24 hour period and explains the need for
an extension of time.

This construct shows that original structure comprised an initial period and one additional opportunity for an extension, not two.

I ask that folks review the recordings and then seriously consider this PSWG revision.  We believe it is faithful to the compromise reached during the call.

Kind regards,
Laureen Kapin
Assistant Director for International Consumer Protection
Office of International Affairs
Federal Trade Commission
lkapin at ftc.gov