[IRT.RegDataPolicy] IRT Task 241 Review Implementation Timelineproposed at 10 May 2023 IRT meeting. Due 20230524

Sarah Wyld swyld at tucows.com
Thu May 18 13:34:45 UTC 2023

Hello all,

I cannot support this suggested August 2025 30-day implementation window plan and strongly advocate for returning to the 18-month buffer period that has been the expectation throughout this IRT’s time together.

>From a technical perspective, holding all changes to be released industry-wide over a 1-month period is extremely dangerous. There will be a huge amount of changes to coordinate across registries, registrars, and reseller channels, and trying to release all those updates and fix any resulting bugs (across literally thousands of contracted parties and TLDs) is just asking for us to all DDOS ourselves.

Each provider in this industry needs to be able to make updates on a schedule that works for them internally, and as Beth explained we need to ensure there’s plenty of time for upstream changes to happen before downstream changes tie in, which is not accommodated as part of this suggested path.

>From a policy perspective, as Alan W. said, I’m not certain that the Interim Registration Data Policy allows for the proposed new path.

Finally, we all know there has been significant attention to this policy process and the extended time period that it’s taken for us to finish the work and get a new policy in place. We should allow contracted parties to start implementing and coming into compliance with the new requirements as soon as possible instead of artificially inserting a two-year delay that benefits no-one and is not being requested by anyone.

I’m happy to discuss further, and can bring a tech person to the call if that would help. Will we meet again to address this before ICANN77?

Thank you,

--
Sarah Wyld, CIPP/E

Policy & Privacy Manager