[ispcp] Note to ISOC members on the NTIA request for comments on the MoU

Mark McFadden mcfadden at 21st-century-texts.com
Tue Jul 4 16:40:12 UTC 2006

All:

I thought you should see this letter that recently appeared on some of
the ISOC mailing lists in the last two days.  It represents ISOC's
approach to answering the NTIA request for comments on the ICANN MoU.

mark

Pasted below:  ---------------------------------------

Dear members,

ISOC is in the process of drafting a reply to the NTIA Notice of Inquiry
on the MOU between the U.S. Department of Commerce and ICANN. We have
been consulting with ISOC Board members, ISOC members, and others, and
we are
particularly grateful for the responses to the related notice that was
sent to the memberpubpol and other ISOC mailing lists recently.

We will not be responding to the specific questions in the NTIA notice
and will not delve into specific operational details of ICANN processes
and decision-making. Instead, we plan to address three main issues we
believe to be essential to ICANN's future success, outlined briefly below:

1) Building and clarifying relationships

ISOC has always supported ICANN and the role ICANN plays in the
collaborative Internet model.   ICANN is an essential organization among
those that manage and administer the Internet on a day to day basis.

We welcome ICANN's efforts to improve how it interacts with governments
through the Government Advisory Council and to working to be more
responsive to the needs of its various constituencies.

Going forward, ISOC feels it is key that the NTIA better define - and
limit - the role it or any government agency (US or other) plays in
ICANN oversight.

2) Defining roles and responsibilities

In addition to further limiting its own role, the NTIA should recognize
that ICANN's current scope is appropriate and should not be expanded.

ICANN should remain focused on those functions that are necessary to be
performed centrally at the global level and that are materially
important to the continued success of the Internet.  ISOC would suggest,
for example, that operational authority over the DNS root name server
system through formal arrangements with the root name server operators
is not desirable. We believe that the current distributed and redundant
way of operating the root name servers by a dozen independent
organizations is highly successful.

ISOC also regards the calls for more heavyweight governance inside of
ICANN and for replacing ICANN with international structures misplaced.
Such moves would merely increase end-user costs and creates structures
that will resist the deployment of improved, innovative and evolutionary
technologies.

3) Evolving with the Internet

In addition to the time-tested principles laid out in the DNS White
Paper, NTIA should also add the principle of "evolution" in recognition
that today's Domain Name System is likely to change with time.

In the future, there will be advances in technology, changes to the
underlying infrastructure and other ways to name resources on the
Internet, and NTIA and ICANN should not try to lock-in systems,
processes or contractual obligations based on today's technological
approach.

The Internet has become a powerful and versatile platform because its
technological architecture has been stable and open to innovation and
experimentation.

These are important and sensitive times for the Internet and for many of
the organizations involved.  It is important that public policy
positions ISOC or our chapters take support ISOC's overall principles as
we believe this is the best way to maximize innovation on the Internet,
and the best way to have an open, accessible and successful Internet.

We are very interested in your thoughts and/or any contributions you
intend to make to this call for comment.  We are finalizing ISOC's
comments this week since the deadline for submissions is this Friday,
July 7.

Best,

Matthew