[ispcp] RV: [gnso-igo-ingo] v1.2 Consensus Recommendations

Novoa, Osvaldo onovoa at antel.com.uy
Tue Sep 10 14:56:36 UTC 2013

Dear All,

After some long holidays I am back on line.

During my absence the Working Group on the protection of International Organizations' names has reach rough consensus on some points that differ from our position submitted some months ago.

In general our position was:

International Governmental Organizations; IGOs, including the Red Cross (RC) and the Olympic Committee (IOC).

 *
Full protection at the top level, names and acronyms.  There are no cases of conflict in the new gTLDs.
 *
Protection of the Full name at the second level, the acronyms are added to the Trademark Clearing House and allowed to participate in the Sunrise period of the new gTLD program.

International Non Governmental Organizations: INGOs, excluding RC and the  IOC.

 *
No protection at any level.
 *
Allow them to use the Trademark Clearing House.

Now the new proposal is to grant protection to the INGOs that figure in the Ecosoc List with General Consultative Status or Special Consultative Status.  According to the last list there are 148 organizations with General Consultative Status and  2608 in Special Consultative Status.
    For organizations with General Consultative Status the proposal is to grant them the same protection as to the IGOs.
    For organizations with Special Consultative Status the proposal is to grant them protection at the second level for their exact name and acronyms by including them in a list in the Trademark Clearing House.

The Working Group proposes to modify the UDRP and URS so that they can be used by the protected organizations.

I was a bit surprised that these changes were supported by ALACL and the registries.

My position is to support the protections for IGOs, RC and IOC, they have some legal protections and I think ICANN should grant them protection also.  Although in principle I am against any kind of differential treatment to any entity.  This was also the ISPC position.

With regards to the INGOs, I don't see any reason to grant them special protections when the governments of any country haven't done so.  But in order to reach a consensus in the group and since an important number of the WG participants support some type of protectio for them, I would go as far as granting protections to those INGOs that have General Consultative Status in the Ecosoc list, it's only 148 as of april of this year. As the ALALC stated in some proposals "We can live with it".  I don't support granting protection to the NGOs, not all of them are International, that have Special Consultative Status with Ecosoc, they are too many.

If you agree with me I would submit our position.

Best regards,

Osvaldo

[cid:649333913 at 10092013-288A]Osvaldo Novoa
Subgerente General
Antel
Guatemala 1075, Nivel 22
Montevideo, 11800