[ksk-change] Agenda and timeline for Root KSK Public Workshop on Thursday at ICANN 51

Dan York york at isoc.org
Wed Oct 15 00:33:18 UTC 2014

List members,

On behalf of the ad hoc program committee[1], I want to relay some information about the Root KSK Public Workshop on Thursday, October 16, 2014 here at ICANN 51 in L.A.

LOCATION and TIME
---------------------------------
The meeting will be on Thursday, October 16, 2014, from 9:00am - 12:00noon PDT (UTC-7). It will NOT be 0800-1800 as currently shown on the ICANN calendar.

Location is the Brentwood Room on the lower California level.

REMOTE PARTICIPATION
---------------------------------

Remote participation information at: http://la51.icann.org/en/schedule/thu-dnssec-key-rollover

AGENDA
---------------------------------
The public workshop is aimed to be a discussion forum to collect guidance from a wide range of people.  I have been asked to act as a moderator to ensure that the flow moves appropriately and that all get to contribute.  The proposed agenda is:

1. INTRODUCTION
A brief level setting of why the workshop has been called, where we are at in the process (ICANN public consultation in early 2013, SSAC report, ICANN Board resolution in Nov 2013), and what we hope to do in the workshop.  (See my recent "Background Information" post [2] for links for more info.)

2. HOW a Root KSK Rollover might occur
We would like to discuss how an automated (RFC5011 [3] ) would occur as well as non-5011 roll options and options for a staggered roll.  Joe Abley will discuss a couple of relevant Internet Drafts.

3. WHAT a Root KSK Rollover might involve
We would like to discuss what changes might be made during a Root KSK Rollover. Specifically two points:
  a. ALGORITHM CHANGE - Geoff Huston will give a presentation about potential impacts of a change of the algorithm. (Geoff also presented this information about the DNS-OARC meeting this past weekend.)
  b. Length of KSK - There has been some discussion about changing the length of ZSKs and KSKs and moving to longer key sizes.  We would like a discussion around this idea and the potential impacts.

4. IMPLICATIONS
Discussion of additional implications beyond those discussed earlier.  For instance, issues around response sizes.

5. POTENTIAL TIMELINE (unanchored)
We would like to discuss what a potential timeline might look like for the entire process.  The intent is NOT to establish a fixed date but rather to establish what a timeline might look like for the full process to take place.

6. NEXT STEPS
We want to spend the end of the session identifying specific steps and actions that will occur coming out of this workshop.

Given that we only have three hours and a great amount to cover we will be asking people to assist us in helping keep the discussions focused and flowing and moving along through the agenda.

Please feel free to send comments to the list - and we will see you on Thursday.

Thank you,
Dan

[1] Ad hoc program committee: Joe Abley, Duane Wessels, Roy Arends, Jakob Schlyter, Dan York, David Conrad

[2] http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/blog/2014/10/background-information-for-the-dnssec-root-ksk-rollover-workshop-at-icann51/

[3] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5011

--
Dan York
Senior Content Strategist, Internet Society

http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/