[ksk-rollover] root zone KSK rollover operations workshop planning

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Fri Sep 19 13:14:18 UTC 2014

Hi Peter,

On 19 Sep 2014, at 3:08, Peter Koch <pk at denic.de> wrote:

>> Do you mean who is participating in the workshops?
>
> that's probably too early to tell, isn't it.  I was looking for the "forces" behind
> this and I read your response as "an ad-hoc group".

The context of this effort is not a secret and probably not very surprising.

There was some momentum back around the time of the last Berlin IETF to get moving on planning and outreach on the topic of rolling the root zone KSK. I was working for ICANN at that time, and was in some of those meetings.

The momentum decayed to near zero around the time when the IANA functions' future detachment from the US government started to be discussed. I don't mean to imply any causality there, because I have no useful, factual insight, and left ICANN around that time anyway.

More recently, David Conrad rejoined ICANN, and is putting effort into rejuvenating the project. He asked Roy, Jakob, Dan and me to help out and, distracted by his winning smile, we accidentally said yes. And here we are.

I agree with you that the technical/operational aspects that we are here to discuss, and any recommendations we come up with, are orthogonal to layer-9 oversight and governance discussions going on elsewhere. Let's not get distracted :-)

Joe