[ksk-change] planned vs. emergency (was Re: [ksk-rollover] root zone KSK ...)

Tomofumi Okubo tomofumi.okubo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 18:40:24 UTC 2014

Hello Subramanian,

I like the idea of assessing the risks of doing the KSK rollover.

Do you think it will help to facilitate this discussion if we perform
a high-level risk assessment for the KSK rollover in this group so we
can form a rough consensus around what exactly the risks are and how
they should be treated?

Risks could actually be dealt in four ways; mitigate, accept, transfer
or avoid. Avoiding (not doing it) is one way but not the only way.

Also, I'd like to stress that we are not just talking about present
but the future. The day the algorithm (or key length) is going be
obsolete is coming no matter what. Sometimes, not taking precaution
could be seen as lack of due diligence. I believe if we don't take
action now, the issue is going to get bigger in the future.

Cheers!
Tomofumi