[ksk-rollover] 答复: Architectural reconsideration on ICANN's Root Zone KSK rollover

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Jan 31 14:47:53 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 9:15 AM, Robert Story <rstory at isi.edu> wrote:
> On Wed 2018-01-31 07:53:51-0500 Marc wrote:
>> I’m not sure that supporting multiple hints files would really help.
>> I might be wrong.
>
> I think it could give us better information than kskroll-sentinel on
> how many folks are ready for the roll. To extend the idea a bit, if
> root servers listened on 3 addresses and there were 3 hints files
> (2017-ready, 2010-only, neither), we would know the status of every
> resolver that was updated, as soon as it was updated, without having to
> do any testing using ad campaigns that load pictures of fish. :-)

So, RFC8145 already gives information very similar to this... and it
turns out that the information doesn't show what we thought it would
-- it demonstrates the distribution of keys across *resolvers*. That's
a nice metric, but fundamentally fairly useless; in my basement I have
a machine BIND in a Docker instance. It only has the old key (because
Docker[0]) -- this is interesting from an academic standpoint, but
doesn't actually tell us anything - no-one is querying this instance.

What we need (IMO, YMMV, etc) is something which exposes this
information to *users* -- in an ideal world, there would be "no
resolver left behind" - unfortunately that doesn't seem realistic
(managed vs trusted-keys, non-5011 implementations, read-only
filesystems, etc), so I think we need to focus on "minimal users left
behind". I guess you could try scale 8145 (or multiple hints files) by
the number of users using each resolver, but, well, that seems like
you are back to the first issue.

> [note: speaking for myself, not my employer.]

Hey, me too! <waves/>

[0]: The Docker instance doesn't have persistent storage, because it
is part of a test infrastructure. It starts 5011, but usually doesn't
complete it (because timers) or it completes it, and then I restart
some tests and the Docker image reloads. Yes, this is a 10 minute fix,
but...