[ksk-rollover] Chat session during KSK Rollover? Re: Reporting - Root KSK Rollover

Dan York york at isoc.org
Wed Oct 10 20:50:47 UTC 2018

On Oct 10, 2018, at 3:38 PM, Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net<mailto:warren at kumari.net>> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 3:25 PM Ralf Weber <dns at fl1ger.de<mailto:dns at fl1ger.de>> wrote:

> A jabber chat room?  Slack channel?  Zoom call? Something else?
Why not reuse dns-operations at conference.dns-oarc.net<mailto:dns-operations at conference.dns-oarc.net>? Just logged in
there ;-)

This (or Slack) both sound like a great option.

And so we confront the terrible state of real-time messaging best captured by this XKCD comic: https://xkcd.com/1810/

I don’t have access to that dns-operations at conference.dns-oarc.net<mailto:dns-operations at conference.dns-oarc.net> address - is that a Jabber group chat?

So it sounds like the mythical “someone” needs to do one of these:

1. Create (or re-use) a Jabber group chat on some jabber server, allow public access, and share it with us all so we can pull out our jabber clients and connect to it

2. Create (or re-use) an IRC channel on some IRC server … and many of us will need to find or install an IRC client and remember how it all worked

3. Create (or re-use) a Slack channel in their Slack team - and then *set up guest accounts for anyone interested* (after first letting people know so that they can email the person indicating they want to be part of that Slack channel / team)

Or… create a WhatsApp group and ask everyone to send their phone numbers… or use some WebRTC tool… or… or…

4. We all just give up on real-time messaging and watch the #KeyRoll hashtag on Twitter :-(

Anyone able to do 1, 2 or 3?  (or maybe 1 or 3?)

Dan

--
Dan York
Director, Content & Web Strategy, Internet Society

http://www.internetsociety.org/