[Metrics.SC] Metrics framework

Maureen Hilyard hilyard at oyster.net.ck
Thu May 3 17:14:44 UTC 2012

Just some quick comments.

Firstly, I agree with Darlene's comment on the wiki, that from the outset
the expectations must be clearly defined for ALSes so that they understand
what it is that they are committing themselves to when they become an ALS.
And Tijani's proposal identifies some important issues addressing ALS
commitment to involvement in the ICANN process.

Meeting attendance?  it would be nice to make an expectation that an ALS
member personally attends at least one meeting a year, as a minimum
expectation, but I know how difficult even that expectation is when I am
reliant on a fellowship and competing with hundreds of other prospects.

RALO attendance? Participation in a RALO meeting however, should be a given,
and a standard of expectation should be set as quite high. The
multistakeholder model provides for bottom up, but if the ALS membership
does not participate then we are not effectively implementing the model in
the interests of ICANN. Perhaps a 75% attendance of RALO meetings could be a
minimum expectation. Each ALS has a minimum membership, surely at least one
member can participate in the meeting each month and hopefully contribute
(technology willing).

Active participation? It would be difficult to assess whether active
participation in a meeting actually represents active interest and
participation beyond the meeting, especially if the ALS organisation itself
has reporting expectations of their member. I know that in our ALSes, a
report on each month's meeting is expected, by whoever attends. And if the
normal rep can't attend, then a notice goes out for a replacement if at all
possible (although sometimes I find I have to represent both from our
region).  I also  know from personal experience, that sometimes the level of
conversation relating to some working group activities (especially on
technical issues) are beyond me and you'd never get a word of sense out of
me if I was expected to speak on them. In this instance for me, less is
more.

Maureen