[NCAP-Discuss] Data needed for Study 2 Harm Analysis

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Thu Apr 2 15:07:31 UTC 2020

[top post only]

Jeff,
The Phase 1 report, which is a fine document, was produced in a
technical editor / writer / reporter’s capacity not an “expert” or
subject matter expert on name collisions.

The NCAP working group is executing the defined goals outlined in the
final SSAC Proposal for the Name Collision Analysis Project[1]. The
first goal was to “examine all prior work on the issue of name
collisions and produce a summary report that brings forwards important
knowledge from prior work into this study, and which can act as a primer
for those new to the subject.”  The report has done exactly that, IMO.

Now the group is working on the second and third goals in which “The
second goal is to create a data repository with all the supporting rules
in place as to how the data will be managed and processed and the third
goal is to gather data from past studies, identify gaps, if any, and
secure any additional data that is required.”  It's unclear too me how
identifying the data set gaps are in some way wasting time and money?
The role of the "independent neutral *reporter*" was to produce a
summary report - not to be a name collision expert and identify data
gaps – that is supposed to be the role of the WG, where many of us have
subject matter expertise.

I'll defer to the trio of chairs if I've missed something, but I don't
think so...

-danny

[1]https://community.icann.org/display/NCAP/NCAP+Working+Documents?preview=%2F79437474%2F105385595%2FFINAL+NCAP+Proposal+September+2018_Redacted.pdf